Innovation and efficiency – RPA in the spotlight part 1
13. 10. 2023.
Robotic Process Automation (RPA) is a revolutionary technology that fundamentally transforms office processes: it automates and optimizes various business tasks using software robots, minimizing the need for human intervention.
Let’s take a closer look at the details, understand the basics of RPA, its applicability, and learn how to maximize office efficiency with this innovative technology.
Join us in our two-part article series to discover the intricacies of process automation!
Office process automation
RPA, an innovative technology and IT solution, allows for the automation and management of tasks related to various business processes using software robots, minimizing the need for human intervention. Its application enables organizations to redirect valuable human work to more important value-adding tasks within the organization and improve operational efficiency.
What is a software robot?
The essence of RPA is teaching the software robot to execute tasks of complex business processes within a short period, such as handling a large number of repetitive queries, collecting and processing data, managing electronic correspondence, executing transactions, and integrating IT systems. Human intervention may only be necessary in the event of errors.
Applicability for problem solving and benefits of usage
The introduction of RPA-based solutions can address problems in small, medium, and large enterprises, such as tasks related to managing scarce human resources and overloaded workforce, slow, lengthy, monotonous, and repetitive work processes, as well as time-consuming manual data collection and processing, and high levels of repetitive administrative tasks and activities.
By using RPA, we can work faster, with fewer errors, more efficiently, and over longer durations. It not only enhances the quality of work but also significantly reduces error rates in tasks. The capacities of colleagues working in manual processes can be directed towards more creative work.
Possible requirements for applicability
As a result of its application, irrespective of the industry, digital assistants save significant time and costs, enhance employee and customer satisfaction, boost motivation, and reduce error rates. However, before supporting processes with a software robot, it is crucial to map, examine, and analyze their characteristics.
For successful implementation of software robotics, the process to be automated should ideally meet the following criteria:
- the fundamental structure of the process should not undergo substantial changes within the 6 months following implementation, including modifications to decision points and the IT systems involved,
- the tasks should occur frequently, regularly, and at well-defined intervals (daily, weekly, bi-weekly, monthly),
- the tasks should be carried out by employees with significant time commitment,
- execution should follow a strictly defined rule system, along clear steps and minimal decision points,
- every human resource executing a specific task should follow the same methodology, and frequent execution of this methodology should not demotivate employees,
- transaction volume should be high, characterized by consistent and monotonous tasks,
- digital data sources should be used instead of paper-based input.
The experiences of the eNET expert team show that RPA’s application is not industry-specific. It can be successfully applied in the financial sector, industrial and service companies, as well as in various other sectors of the economy (e.g., government and administration, local authorities)!
In the second part of our web article, we will delve into the possible business areas where RPA can be applied and explore the possibilities of its implementation. Stay tuned!